Wednesday 9 February 2011

True Grit


The Coen brothers are known for being one of the best filmmakers of our time. They both compliment each other perfectly. When I heard they were remaking the 1969, John Wayne classic True Grit, I was extremely excited and had incredibly high expectations of the film. Being a major fan of Western movies, I was really interested how it would turn out. I wanted the movie to be more faithful to it's original source material, Charles Portis novel, than the 1969 film had been. I was also hopeful that Jeff Bridges would fill the huge shoes of the classic, legendary John Wayne. I was hoping that they would blend the humor of the original 1969 film with some of the suspense or thrills from earlier Coen brothers films like No Country For Old Men or Fargo. But not become way too violent that it causes to stay completely unrecognizable to Charles Portis classic novel. 

After seeing the Coen brothers new film, I have to say. My extremely high expectations were surpassed. The movie actually surprised all the hype I had, what an incredible film. The atmosphere, clothing, and the buildings reminded me of the old classic Hollywood westerns they used to make. I had a feeling of nostalgia watching the movie through the end. I felt transported to another time period of the old western. Hailee Steinfeld was amazing in the movie, I truly believe that this is her breakout performance. Matt Damon and Josh Brolin were as usual amazing. But the true star of the film has to be Jeff Bridges, in all respects ( I don't mean to offend John Wayne or anything), I think Jeff Bridges did a better job than John Wayne in portraying Rooster Cogburn. His performance showed much more experience, strength and power, the performance was pretty much unforgettable. Jeff Bridges handily reinvents the iconic role of Rooster Cogburn in the Coen brothers' back-to-the-book-remake. I congratulate the Coen for bringing back the western genre, that Hollywood has ignored so much the last decade or so. I can't stress enough how much I recommend this movie to people.

20 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it, I'll bee seeing it Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really wanted to see this.. but i couldnt justify spending $9 for the movie ticket. i cant wait til it comes out on video

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ill be seeing this very soon, I loved the original quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wanna see this movie .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Torrenting this right now.


    http://twitter.com/#!/lazlo055

    ReplyDelete
  6. My buddy and I want to see this really badly

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is on my to watch list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. doesn't sound like my type of movie from what you've said, but maybe it's still worth a watch

    your post was well thought out though, I'll keep looking for more

    ReplyDelete
  9. not my cup of coffee but whats life without any risk on my list tonight

    ReplyDelete
  10. Easily my favourite film-makers of all time. I dont think they've made a movie I didn't like. I've been wanting to see this movie for a long ass time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. defintely wanting to watch this

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea it was a Coen bros movie. I'll definitely have to check it out. Thanks for pointing it out.

    Hope you'll follow me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cant wait to see this :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. good content added to morning coffee

    ReplyDelete
  15. This movies is great for a drinking game; you drink every time someone says, "not"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never been one for Westerns, but I'll give it a shot. Looking forward to more reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  17. am I really the only one who has actually seen this?? I agree, it was incredible. I never really was a fan of westerns, but for no reason other than I havent seen many of them. This really opened my mind to the possibilities of new types of movies.

    morning coffee'd :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait for it. Coens rocks, love them soooo much!

    ReplyDelete